Kitchen Staging Advice – Preparing for photos and sale
Is it important to prepare and stage your kitchen when selling your home?
“When selling your home, the kitchen is one of the most important rooms because it is the heart of the home and a lot of time is spent there by all members of the family. Ideally it needs to be a space both practical and inclusive where the family can gather and share their day while preparing a meal.”
Before you start cleaning your kitchen
Take a good look around this room and find things that do not belong, distract the eye from key features, or look like they have not been moved in a while.
Time to clean
Once you have decluttered, it is time to get cleaning!
If you feel short on time, then consider hiring a professional to come in and clean for you as you need to ensure this room sparkles!
Scrub bench tops, back splashes, stove appliances, sink, cupboards and floor.
Also, be wary of smells as odors can linger. I once photographed a kitchen that smelled like old Chinese takeaway! It wasn’t pleasant!
Note: Make sure that the bulbs over the stove are working because we will want to switch them on during the photo shoot.
Remove fridge magnets
Fridge magnets can be an eyesore especially if your fridge is cluttered with them. Remove everything from your fridge door; this includes photos postcards calendars and bills.
As kitchens rate highly on a potential buyers’ priority list, it is important to dress this room so. As we have said before, “less is always more”, so keep it simple, beautiful and elegant.
Ideas for what you can do to make your kitchen look amazing:
- Put out no more than two appliances for example a nice coffee machine or a kettle.
- Add a cookbook on a cookbook stand near the stove.
- Add a tray with some bottles of oils, a couple of fresh herb plants and some utensils. Be creative! Greenery looks refreshing in the kitchen so add a live plant or vase of flowers on the countertop.
- Place brightly coloured fruit in bowls or tall vases. We love green apples or lemons for this trick.
- Add a breadboard with an assortment of cheeses and grapes or a nice rustic bread loaf. Finally, add a nice bottle of wine and a couple of glasses and place on your island counter top to show the lifestyle.
The most important thing to remember is the less you have the bigger kitchen will look. You also want to show your kitchen is a great place to come together as a family or friends to hang out.
- Homes Listed with Professional Real Estate Photos Sell Quicker and For More Money. This Is Why.
- How creative-angles photography is different to real estate photography
- Attractive image marketing with creative-angles photography evoke emotions and create feelings of intimacy
- Lounge/Living Staging Advice – Preparing for inspection and photography
- The Goldfish Effect – You have 8 seconds to capture someone’s attention